Opened in 1913, as Camberwell Central Cinema, it suffered bomb damage but was reopened in 1945. It closed in 1948 and was being used for storage when a bad fire in 1957 prompted the decision to demolish it.
From Bridge to Nowhere: "The proprietor lived and worked just up the road. Critics congratulated him on the cinema’s fine choice of location (facing St. George’s church), and extensive use of steel and concrete, to resist fire. It meant the front looked a little bulky – but it had a temple-like grandeur ... Bomb damaged in the Blitz, October 1945 saw the “Grand Reopening by His Worship the Mayor of Camberwell”. ... In 1948 the last reel rolled at the Coronet. ... Then came the final blow, in 1957: “Scenery from West End shows was destroyed at the old Coronet Cinema, now a warehouse … A fire started in the roof and burning fragments fell on the scenery … Ten fire engines managed to prevent the fire gutting the whole building … The scenery included “Treasure Island” backcloths such as rockeries and woodland scenes …” (South London Press). The local cinema once so praised for its fire-proof design had finally succumbed to neglect."