Came into being as a result of the Thames Conservancy Act,1857. Completed the building of Teddington Lock. Lost some of its responsibilities in 1909 to the Port of London Authority and in 1974 the Thames Water Authority took over the rest.
The picture shows an enamalled metal 1922 Thames Conservancy registration badge for a vessel.
Richard Griffiths tells us that on Oliver's Island - downstream from Kew Bridge - there is a large stone block inscribed: BOUNDARY OF THE JURISDICTION OF THE CONSERVATORS OF THE RIVER THAMES 1868.