Person    | Male  Born 12/12/1859  Died 15/1/1941

Charles Cheers, Baron Wakefield of Hythe CGE, LLD

Charles Cheers Wakefield was born and raised in Liverpool. (Cheers was his mother's maiden name). Became an oil-broker, founding his own firm in 1899, C.C. Wakefield & Co. later Wakefield Oil Company, later Castrol. In 1919 on the first trans-Atlantic flight Alcock and Brown used a Castrol product. He became wealthy and a philanthropist especially in the fields of aviation and motor sport, presenting the Wakefield Gold Trophy for the world land speed record.

After he opened Castrol’s head office in the City of London his philanthropy benefited the people of London. He was elected to the Court of Common Council, serving as a sheriff, alderman of the ward of Bread Street and Lord Mayor from 1915 to 1916. Raised to the peerage in 1930. In 1937 he and Tubby Clayton founded the Wakefield Trust to help All Hallows by the Tower, Toc H, and good causes in the East End.

We see that the NRA have a good post about Wakefield, the connection presumably being that he was on the governing council of the Society of Miniature Rifle Club (small rifles or small club?). In 1933 Wakefield gifted a shooting challenge trophy to the club. The design of the trophy was based on The Monument, but we don't know why. In 1947 the club resolved the ambiguity of its name by changing it to National Smallbore Rifle Association.

The Wakefield Trust has a very good post which finishes: At his funeral, snow was falling, and Tubby Clayton described the scene as “each flake a ‘Thank You’ from a London child”.

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Charles Cheers, Baron Wakefield of Hythe CGE, LLD

Creations i

Admiral Arthur Phillip

{On the west side, beneath the relief depicting a scene with 5 people on a sh...

Read More

Other Subjects

Wimpole Street Post Office

Wimpole Street Post Office

This was at the southern end of Wimpole Street, on the east side.  The Royal Society of Medicine website tells us: "Once again 1 Wimpole Street was given a major refurbishment between 1982 – 86 ......

Building, Commerce, Property

1 memorial
Brilliant Sign Company

Brilliant Sign Company

Signage company. It was named after their concept called the 'brilliant letter'. This comprised a pressed copper sheet with a v-shaped cross section so as to imitate the classic incised wooden fasc...

Group, Commerce, Industry

2 memorials
St Pancras Basin

St Pancras Basin

Formerly known as the Midland Railway Basin (though we could find nothing under thatn name). Opened as a coal wharf.  1958 converted to a pleasure craft area.  Now home to the St Pancras Cruising C...

Place, Commerce, Transport

1 memorial
Hamleys of London

Hamleys of London

Established by William Hamley as 'Noah's Ark' at 231 High Holborn. Branch at 200 Regent Street opened in 1881. The original shop was destroyed by fire in 1901 and moved down the road to 86-87 High ...

Group, Children, Commerce

1 memorial