Group    From 1282 

Bridge House Estates

Established to maintain London Bridge. Named after Bridge House, the original administrative and maintenance centre located where St Olaf House now is. Originally funded by tolls from London Bridge, from the rents of the buildings on the bridge and from charitable donations. The Fund now administers all 5 City bridges (Blackfriars Bridge, Millennium Bridge, Southwark Bridge, London Bridge and Tower Bridge) and owns enough property that it is self-sufficient.

The logo of Bridge House Estates, known as the 'Bridge Mark', is one of the earliest in continuous use. We have seen it on various plaques and photographed it on the East Sheen alcove. We also found it in the stonework on an 1887 building in Chancel Street (changed name from Robert Street between wars) SE1, now (2014) used by the Electoral Reform Society. The stonework also reveals "AI" standing for the "Albert Institute" .Southwark Charities gives some information about its creation but there is no reference to the Bridge House Estates, so we cannot explain the logo in the stone decorations, indeed, we are beginning to wish we had not noticed it!

2016: Ian Visits explains the recent revamp of this charity.

2023: The grant-making arm, City Bridge Trust, and Bridge House Estates merged and rebranded as City Bridge Foundation.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Bridge House Estates

Commemorated ati

Blackfriars Bridge - plaque

Corporation of London Blackfriars Bridge, standing on the site of the origina...

Read More

Bridge House Estates housing - Silex Street

Corporation of London This stone was laid by the Rt. Hon. Sir Stephen Henry M...

Read More

Bridge House Estates - Silex Street

Not a memorial really, more a mark of ownership.

Read More

Southwark Bridge opened

{Beneath the 'bridge mark' of the Bridge House Estates and above the City of ...

Read More

Victoria's Golden Jubilee - Tower Bridge

Although it doesn't specifically say, this is the foundation stone for Tower ...

Read More

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
Bridge House Estates

Creations i

London Bridge alcove at East Sheen

In case anyone is in any doubt about these alcoves being off London Bridge we...

Read More

London Bridge - begun in 1967

City of London London Bridge The building of this bridge by the Corporation o...

Read More

Tower Bridge, 1894 - opening

In 1894 the royal personages listed at the top of the plaque as: Prince of Wa...

Read More

Tower Bridge, 1977 - electrification

City of London Tower Bridge Constructed and maintained by the Corporation of ...

Read More

Tower Bridge, 1982 - opened to the public

City of London Tower Bridge The main towers, high level walkways and the mac...

Read More

Other Subjects

Sir Christopher Leaver, GBE DMus

Sir Christopher Leaver, GBE DMus

Lord Mayor in 1981-2.   Alderman on the City Lands & Bridge House Estates Committee, 1994.  A guest on Desert Island Discs in 1982 - at the picture source you can listen to his choices.

Person, Lord Mayor, Politics & Administration

2 memorials
H. Oughton

H. Oughton

Co-churchwarden of Chelsea Old Church in 1882. In 1884 he was named on a tablet inside the church, still a co-churchwarden.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
W. H. Church

W. H. Church

Alderman in the Borough of Hammersmith in 1948. Our colleague Andrew Behan has researched this man: William Henry Church was born in 1876 in Knightsbridge, a son of Joseph Church and Mary Ann Chur...

Person, Law, Politics & Administration

1 memorial
Councillor Victor G. Read

Councillor Victor G. Read

Hon. Treasurer of of the Council of the Hornsey Central Hospital in 1937.

Person, Politics & Administration

1 memorial