mobile nav

Memorial

Tower Bridge, 1982 - opened to the public Tower Bridge

Plaque: Tower Bridge, 1982 - opened to the public

Inscription

City of London Tower Bridge
The main towers, high level walkways and the machine rooms under the southern approach of this bridge were opened to the public on 30th June 1982 by the Rt Hon, the Lord Mayor Sir Christopher Leaver, GBE, DMus, in the presence of Norman Harding, Esq, Chairman of the City Lands and Bridge House Estates Committee and Sir John Reader Welch, Bt, MA, Chairman of the Planning and Communications Committee and the following members of the Joint Co-ordinating Committee:

{list of 10 names, given here at ‘Created by’}

the cost of all necessary work being met from the funds of the Bridge House Estates Trust.

Consultants:
Executive Architects – Holford Associates
Engineers – Mott, Hay & Anderson
Quantity Surveyors – Kenneth R Kensall & Partners
Exhibition designers - Robin Wade Design Associates
Contractor – Holland Hannan & Cubitts Construction (London) Ltd

City Engineers:
G. W. Pickin, BSc, CEng, FICE, FIMunE, FRSA
L. W. E. Groome, CEng, FICE, FIMunE, FIStructE

Site: Tower Bridge (4 memorials)

E1, Tower Bridge

These plaques are attached to the north-west tower and also the south-east tower, all duplicated except for "opened to the public" which is only on the NW tower which forms the entrance to the exhibition. The SE tower also has the intriguing bronze plaque "The Bridge Master's Dining Room".  This is part of a self-contained suite of rooms which once served as the Bridge Master’s home and is now, of course, available for hire.

Note how the spelling of 'honourable' changes between the 1894 and 1994 plaques. We don't normally retain letters after the surname but we have for the people on these plaques - they seemed so proud of their qualifications.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Tower Bridge, 1982 - opened to the public

Information Subjects commemorated

51137

Tower Bridge

Named not for its own two towers but for the nearby, pre-existing Tower. Desi...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Tower Bridge, 1982 - opened to the public

Information Created by

Show all 18

58681

Bridge House Estates

Established to maintain London Bridge. Named after Bridge House, the original...

Read More

46488

Corporation of the City of London

In addressing the 'square mile' concept Londonist have provided a potted hist...

Read More

50532

Mott, Hay and Anderson

A civil engineering firm. Began as a partnership with Basil Mott and David Ha...

Read More

50534

Bernard Joseph Brown, CBE, JP

Member of the Joint Co-ordinating Committee in 1982 for opening Tower Bridge ...

Read More

50534

Sir Kingsley Collett, CBE, DLit, Deputy

Member of the Joint Co-ordinating Committee in 1982 for opening Tower Bridge ...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Tower Bridge, 1982 - opened to the public

Information Also at this site

50839

Tower Bridge, 1894 - opening

In 1894 the royal personages listed at the top of the plaque as: Prince of Wa...

Read More

50838

Tower Bridge, 1977 - electrification

City of London Tower Bridge Constructed and maintained by the Corporation of ...

Read More

50840

Tower Bridge, 1994 - centenary

Corporation of London, Tower Bridge This plaque was unveiled on the centenary...

Read More