mobile nav

Subject

Bridewell Royal Hospital

Building  From 1553 

Categories: Education

Bridewell Palace was given by Edward VI in 1553 to the City of London to house this school, founded by royal charter in the same year. In 1867 the school moved to Surrey and changed its name to King Edward's School, Witley. The picture shows Bridewell between 1660 and 1666.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Bridewell Royal Hospital

Information Commemorated at

45917

St Brides Place

Here stood the palace of Bridewell built by Henry VIII in 1523 and granted by...

Read More