Plaque: St Brides Place
Here stood the palace of Bridewell built by Henry VIII in 1523 and granted by Edward VI in 1553 to the City of London to house Bridewell Royal Hospital founded by royal charter in the same year. The present building was erected in 1802 and in 1862 the court room of Bridewell Royal Hospital was incorporated therein.
Site: Bridewell Palace (2 memorials)
EC4, New Bridge Street, 14
The original gatehouse together with the keystone form the entrance to the current building.