Building    To 1918

Blake's house SE1

Categories: Property

Blake lived here with his wife, Catherine, throughout the 1790s. The photograph was taken in about 1913 and shows that it had already been honoured with a plaque. Despite this the house, with the rest of the terrace presumably, was demolished in 1918. See Captain's Cook's house - that also got demolished despite having a plaque.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Blake's house SE1

Commemorated ati

William Blake - SE1

The shield with the red crosses is from the Coat of arms of the City of Londo...

Read More

William Blake - SE1 - lost plaque

This plaque, shown in both this drawing (by Adcock from Culture 24) and the p...

Read More

Other Subjects

Albany Hall

Albany Hall

Our Picture source dates the image as 1899 and gives the architect as A. J. Perriam. On this 1895 OS map the building is labelled Albany Hall. and on this 1916 OS map "Institute". From Art in the P...

Building, Property

1 memorial
Baynard’s Castle

Baynard’s Castle

There have been two buildings known as Baynard's Castle, on different sites. Just to the east of where Blackfriars station now stands Ralph Baynard erected a Norman fortification in about 1000.  Th...

Building, Property, Royalty

1 memorial
R. J. Rowley Ltd

R. J. Rowley Ltd

Building firm active in 1933.

Group, Property

1 memorial
Improved Industrial Dwellings Co Ltd
3 memorials