mobile nav


Blackfriars Priory

Building  From 1278  To 1538

Categories: Religion

Built on the site of the Norman fortification known as Baynard's Castle which was demolished in 1213. Blackfriars Priory was initially a house and church for the Dominican Order (guess what colour their habits were). It expanded to occupy all the ground between Ludgate and the river with a refectory, cloisters, a hall, library, stables and garden. 1529 the location for the (failed) divorce hearing between Catherine of Aragon and Henry VIII. Closed in 1538 during the dissolution of the monasteries. One section of wall remains.

Lost City of London has a 3D drawing showing what the Blackfriars estate might have looked like.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Blackfriars Priory

Information Commemorated at

Black Friar pub

The plaque is a perfectly nice pub plaque but the pub is adorned with many lo...

Read More

Blackfriars Priory

Site of the Priory of the Blackfriars, founded 1278. The Corporation of the ...

Read More