The summer residence of the Archbishops of Canterbury. The Manor of Croydon was connected with Canterbury from at least the late Saxon period, and records of buildings date back to before 960. The palace as it now exists is a group of largely 15th and 16th century buildings. By the late 18th century, it had become dilapidated and uncomfortable. An Act of Parliament enabled it to be sold and Addington Palace on the outskirts of Croydon to be bought in 1807, which then became the new episcopal summer residence for much of the rest of the 19th century. The buildings now form the Old Palace of John Whitgift School.