mobile nav

Subject

Bethleham Hospital 1&2

Bethleham Hospital 1&2

Building 

Categories: Medicine

A priory for the Order of the Star of Bethlehem, built in 1247 on Bishopsgate at Liverpool Street, started admitting mental patients in 1357. This was probably the world's first institution to specialise in mental illness. It developed into a horrible place, known as Bedlam, dedicated to the commitment of the insane. In 1676 it moved to the London Wall site and it was this building that was adorned with the Cibber statues of Raving and Melancholy Madness. In 1815 Bedlam moved to the St George's Fields site (at that time owned by the City of London) in Southwark and, when in 1930 it moved out to a site near Beckenham, the Southwark buildings became the Imperial War Museum.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Bethleham Hospital 1&2

Information Commemorated at

48388

Bethlehem Hospital - first

Site of the first Bethlehem Hospital 1247 - 1676. The Corporation of the City...

Read More

49087

Bethlehem Hospital - second

Site of the second Bethlehem Hospital, 1676 -1815. The Corporation of the Cit...

Read More

72607

Gift from Lord Rothermere

This plaque was unveiled a second time, during the 75th anniversary celebrati...

Read More

72611

Harmsworth - IWM

In 1926 Harold Harmsworth, the first Viscount Rothermere, bought the grounds ...

Read More