mobile nav

Memorial

Gift from Lord Rothermere Gift from Lord Rothermere

Plaque: Gift from Lord Rothermere

Erection date: /7/1934

Inscription

Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park
This park which was opened in July 1934 was formerly the grounds of Bethlem Hospital - the land was bought by Lord Rothermere who presented it to the London County Council to be laid out as a park and named in memory of his mother.

This plaque was unveiled a second time, during the 75th anniversary celebrations on 18 July 2009. From the Daily Mail: the 4th Viscount Rothermere "said he was very touched to be invited to unveil the very plaque dedicated by his great-grandfather in 1934. Recently restored by sculptor Hamish Horsley, it had fallen into disrepair and was only rediscovered during a chance clear-out of the park's Lodge."

Site: Gift from Lord Rothermere (1 memorial)

SE1, St George's Road, Geraldine Mary Harmsworth Park

The plaque is on the wall, behind the dog-walker's head.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Gift from Lord Rothermere

Information Subjects commemorated

50528

Bethleham Hospital 1&2

A priory for the Order of the Star of Bethlehem, built in 1247 on Bishopsgate...

Read More

72865

Geraldine Mary Harmsworth

Mother of Lord Rothermere.   Born in Dublin as Geraldine Mary Maffett, the da...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Gift from Lord Rothermere

Information Created by

46341

London County Council

Prior to the LCC London matters were run by church parishes. The LCC was the ...

Read More

46715

Harold Harmsworth, 1st Viscount Rothermere

Newspaper owner. He and his brother Alfred, later Lord Northcliffe, developed...

Read More