Building    From 666  To 1539

Barking Abbey

Categories: Architecture, Religion

Former royal monastery. Founded by St Erkenwald, whose sister, Aethelburg, was the first abbess. Destroyed by the Danes it was rebuilt in the 10th century. William the Conqueror stayed here after his coronation in 1066. It followed the Rule of St Benedict and had a large endowment and sizeable income. Suffered severely after 1377, when the River Thames flooded around 720 acres of its land, which was unable to be reclaimed. It was dissolved in 1539 in the Dissolution of the Monasteries and demolished within three years. During its existence, the abbey had many notable abbesses including several saints, former queens and the daughters of kings. The abbess of Barking held precedence over all other abbesses in England.

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Barking Abbey

Commemorated ati

Barking Abbey

Barking Abbey Was founded by St Erkenwald in the year 666. Destroyed by the D...

Read More

Other Subjects

R. Day

R. Day

Mason-sculptor of Camberwell. Active in 1825.

Person, Architecture, Craft / Design

1 memorial
James Gold

James Gold

Architect active in 1729.

Person, Architecture

1 memorial
Darcy Braddell

Darcy Braddell

The only person we can find who this might be is Thomas Arthur Darcy Braddell, who was an architect, which seems wrong.

Person, Architecture

1 memorial
Frederick Atkinson Powell

Frederick Atkinson Powell

Architect. Mayor of Lambeth 1905-6 and 1906-7. Died at home at 344 Kennington Road.

Person, Architecture, Politics & Administration

1 memorial