Person    | Male  Born 1837  Died 19/7/1903

B. E. Nightingale

Categories: Property

B. E. Nightingale

Benjamin Ebenezer Nightingale was born in 1837 in Lambeth, Surrey. He was a son of Benjamin Ebenezer Nightingale (1803-1868) and Margaret Nightingale née Dickinson (1811-1887). On 7 January 1838 he was baptised at St Mark's Church, Kennington, where the baptismal register shows that the family were residing at High Street, Lambeth and that his father was a painter.

The 1841 census shows him living in Princes Street, Lambeth, with his parents and two sisters: Jane Nightingale (1835-1904) and Margaret Nightingale (1840-1845). His father's occupation was recorded as a painter & glazier. The 1851 census confirms that he was at 73 Princes Street, Lambeth, with his parents and two sisters: Eliza Nightingale (1843-1873) and Alice Nightingale (b.1850).

On 28 August 1859 he married Margaretta Andrews (1839-1893) in the District Church in the parish of All Saint's, Lambeth, where the marriage register shows him as a plumber & decorator and that they were both residing at 73 Princes Street.

In the 1861 census he is described as a 'Decorator & Contractor (Master, employing 5 men)', living at 25 Princes Street, Lambeth, with his wife and their son, William Benjamin Nightingale (1860-1866). He is described as a builder employing 15 men and 3 boys in the 1871 census that shows him living at 24 Albert Embankment, Lambeth, with his wife and two sons: Arthur Charles Nightingale (1869-1912) and Walter Herbert Nightingale (1870-1955). 

At the time of the 1881 census he was listed as a builder employing 500 men and 40 boys. He was shown as living in Oxford Road, Putney, with his wife, four children: Florence Annie Nightingale (1872-1893), Alfred Ernest Nightingale (1875-1959), Frank Andrews Nightingale (1876-1952) and Percy Gilbert Nightingale (1878-1966), together with a female domestic servant.

On 12 May 1885 he was admitted to the Freedom of the City of London, by redemption, in the Worshipful Company of Tylers and Bricklayers. His admission papers gave his business address as Albert Works, Lambeth. This is probably the building which is now 5 Glasshouse Walk, SE11.  Its west face is alongside railway tracks and, as can be seen easily from passing trains, it is painted with the lettering 'B. E. Nightingale'.  

The 1891 census shows him as a builder living at Kentisbeare, Atney Road, Putney, with his wife, three of their children: Arthur, Walter and Florence, two cousins: Thuila Rebecca Isabella Yessell De Schepper née Vÿfhuis (1841-1934) and Beatrice Adelaide Mary Vÿfhuis (1870-1958), together with two female domestic servants. 

On the night of the 1901 census he is recorded as a builder, visiting the Hydro, Richmond Hill, Richmond, Surrey, run by Richard Metcalfe. Probate records confirm that his business address was Albert Works, Albert Embankment, Lambeth and that he died, aged 65 years, at Metcalfe's London Hydro, Richmond Hill, Richmond. His death certificate showed the cause of his death as hepatitis for 2 years, anasarca for 2 months and exhaustion. Probate was granted on 25 July 1903 to Thomas Thompson, surveyor and Frank Taylor, solicitor. His effects totalled £23,894-14s-11d.

Our image of him, his wife and six of their children was taken in 1880 in Margate, Kent. It shows, left to right: Walter Herbert, Florence Annie, Benjamin Ebenezer, Margaretta, Percy Gilbert (on mothers lap), Alfred Ernest (below), Frank Andrews (above), Arthur Charles (on far right). 

Credit for this entry to: Andrew Behan.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
B. E. Nightingale

Commemorated ati

Centenary Hall - McArthur

This stone was laid by Aldn. Sir Wm. McArthur, KCMG, MP, 9th July 1883. G. L....

Read More

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
B. E. Nightingale

Creations i

Drill Hall - foundation stone

This corner stone was laid by Lt Colonel S. Richards, commanding Bloomsbury R...

Read More

Other Subjects

Bethnal Green and East London Housing Association / Gateway

Bethnal Green and East London Housing Association / Gateway

From British History on-line: "The Bethnal Green and East London Housing Association was formed in 1926 by an Industrial Housing Fellowship Group. It was supported by the Poplar Ruridecanal {sic} C...

Group, Property, Social Welfare

1 memorial
F. & H. F. Higgs

F. & H. F. Higgs

Building firm, active at least 1890 - 1909.

Group, Property

2 memorials
Wimpole Street Post Office

Wimpole Street Post Office

This was at the southern end of Wimpole Street, on the east side.  The Royal Society of Medicine website tells us: "Once again 1 Wimpole Street was given a major refurbishment between 1982 – 86 ......

Building, Commerce, Property

1 memorial
Alexander James Avery

Alexander James Avery

At the ever useful Pubs History we learn that the 1899 Post Office Directory lists Alex Jas Avery as the publican of White Hart pub in Kennington Lane. Other names are given for 1895 and for 1899 s...

Person, Commerce, Property

1 memorial
The Cedars

The Cedars

Former house owned by Lord Castleton. The home of Mary Fletcher from 1763 - 1768.

Building, Property

1 memorial