Auxiliary Fire Service / AFS
Group From 1938 To 1968
The Auxiliary Fire Service was formed in 1938 as part of the Civil Defence Service and was superseded in August 1941 by the National Fire Service. After the war the AFS was reformed alongside the Civil Defence Corps, forming part of the UK's planned emergency response to a nuclear attack. It was disbanded in the UK in 1968.