mobile nav

Subject

Aldgate

Building  To 1760

Categories: London Wall

Originally a Roman gate it was rebuilt a number of times:  1108–47, 1215, 1607-09. As a customs official Chaucer lived in the rooms above the gate, 1374-1386.  Removed 1760 to allow for street widening, but it was reused. From British History: “Aldgate was bought by {Ebenezer} Mussell, of Bethnal Green, a zealous antiquary, who inhabited a house belonging to Lord Viscount Wentworth, built in the reign of James II. Mr. Mussell rebuilt the gate on the north side of his mansion, to which he henceforth gave the name of Aldgate House.”  Elsewhere, sadly, we learn that his widow remarried and her new husband cleared the site for redevelopment.

Our picture comes from the nearby No 5 of the lovely tiled London Wall Walk markers.  It shows how it is thought the Roman Aldgate may have looked.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Aldgate

Information Commemorated at

51008

Aldgate

Site of Aldgate demolished 1760. The Corporation of the City of London

Read More

66661

Chaucer and Aldgate

{On a worn notice stuck to the pavement immediately below the wooden structur...

Read More