Site was just to the west of St Martin's church. Rebuilt: 1215, 1450, 1586. 1666 destroyed in Great Fire and rebuilt in 1670 when a statue of the mythical King of the Britons, King Lud, was placed on the east side and one of the very real Queen Elizabeth on the west side. The Ludgate was finally demolished in 1760. For much of its life the rooms above the gate were used as a prison.
See Cripplegate for the full list of 8 gates of old London.