mobile nav



Building  To 1760

Categories: London Wall

Originally a Roman gate it was rebuilt a number of times:  1108–47, 1215, 1607-09. As a customs official Chaucer lived in the rooms above the gate, 1374-1386. The Cass Charity school used the upper floor as a children's dinning room in the 18th century. The Aldgate was removed 1760 to allow for street widening, but it was reused. From British History: “Aldgate was bought by {Ebenezer} Mussell, of Bethnal Green, a zealous antiquary, who inhabited a house belonging to Lord Viscount Wentworth, built in the reign of James II. Mr. Mussell rebuilt the gate on the north side of his mansion, to which he henceforth gave the name of Aldgate House.”  Elsewhere, sadly, we learn that his widow remarried and her new husband cleared the site for redevelopment.

Our picture comes from the nearby No 5 of the lovely tiled London Wall Walk markers.  It shows how it is thought the Roman Aldgate may have looked.

See Cripplegate for the full list of 8 gates of old London.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:

Information Commemorated at


Site of Aldgate demolished 1760. The Corporation of the City of London

Read More

Chaucer and Aldgate

{On a worn notice stuck to the pavement immediately below the wooden structur...

Read More