Auxiliary Fireman Alan Charles Barber was born 15 May 1914 in West Norwood, Surrey, the son of William Charles Edward Barber (1881-1967) and Ethel Barber née Langton (b.1882). His father was a Carpenter and Joiner who had served in both the Royal Naval Air Service and the Royal Air Force during World War One. The family lived at 120 Gipsy Road, West Norwood.
He married Winifred Rose Grant (1913-1992), a clerk & laboratory assistant and the marriage was registered in the 1st quarter of 1937 in the Lambeth registration district. Electoral registers show that they lived at 46 Thornlaw Road, West Norwood.
The 1939 England and Wales Register shows him as member of the Auxiliary Fire Service at the Elmers End Road London Passenger Transport Board Garage, Section No.3 AFS, Beckenham and his normal occupation was shown as a Builder and Decorator. He and his wife later moved to 6 Fairford Close, Shirley, Croydon, Surrey.
He died, aged 26 years, on 20 April 1941 when a German parachute mine landed on Auxiliary Fire Service Sub Station 24U, which was housed in Old Palace LCC School, St. Leonards Street, Poplar. He was buried at Beckenham Cemetery and Crematorium, Elmers End Road, Beckenham, BR3 4TD. On 30 July 1941 administration of his estate was granted to his widow and his effects totalled £886-14s-0d.
He is also commemorated on the Firefighters Memorial and in their Book of Remembrance. His name is also recorded in the Civilian War Dead Roll of Honour that is held near the entrance to St George's Chapel, at the west end of Westminster Abbey.
Credit for this entry to: Andrew Behan.