Building    From 1736  To 1766

Turners' Hall, second

Categories: Liveries & Guilds

The Guild of Turners began sometime between 1295 and 1310. King James I granted the first Royal Charter in 1604.

In the 15th and 16th centuries almost all the turners in London lived in one very small area and so that was the location for their first hall in 1591, a leased ‘substantial mansion’ in Philpot Lane. Unusually this did not burn down but the Turners had difficulties with their landlord when he became bankrupt. In 1736 they moved to their second hall, a merchant's house in College Hill. This was never as successful as the first hall had been and by 1766 it was sold.  The turners went in to a period of decline but revived in 1845.  However they still have no hall of their own and make use of that of the Apothecaries.

It seems odd that there is a plaque for the hall they were in for only 30 years but not for the one they occupied for over 130 years. Maybe its location is less certain.

Comments are provided by Facebook, please ensure you are signed in here to see them

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Turners' Hall, second

Commemorated ati

Turners' Hall, second

On or near this site stood the Second Turners' Hall 1736 - 66. The Corporati...

Read More

Other Subjects

Sir Roger William Cork

Sir Roger William Cork

The 669th Lord Mayor of London 1996-7. Roger William Cork was born on 31 March 1947 in Hatch End, Middlesex (now Greater London), the son of Sir Kenneth Russell Cork (1913-1991) and Nina Cork née ...

Person, Liveries & Guilds, Lord Mayor, Politics & Administration

2 memorials
Heriot Baker Roe

Heriot Baker Roe

Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Stationers who died in WW1. Andrew Behan has kindly provided this research: Second Lieutenant Heriot Baker Roe was born on 10 October 1880 in Church Row, Ful...

Person, Liveries & Guilds

War dead, WW1
1 memorial
Innholders' Hall

Innholders' Hall

Seven years after they received their first charter from Henry VIII in 1514, the Innholders are recorded as occupying a hall on the present site, beneath which lie the foundations of a Roman quay. ...

Building, Liveries & Guilds

1 memorial