Plaque

St Pancras Way bridge - foundation stone

Erection date: 4/3/1897

Inscription

Vestry of St Pancras, London
This foundation stone was laid by William James Wetenhall Esqre. JP, LCC - Chairman of the  Vestry, on Thursday March 4th 1897.

Charles Challen Esqre., William Henry Matthews Esqre. - Churchwardens
John William Dixon - Chairman of the Parliamentary & General Purposes Committee

C. H. F. Barrett, Esqre. - Vestry Clerk
Stephen Kavanagh – Builder
Thomas & Taylor – Engineers

This, the foundation stone for the bridge, was laid in March 1897 and less than 5 months later the bridge was opened.

Site: St Pancras Way bridge - foundation stone (1 memorial)

NW1, towpath

We are grateful to Andy Bye for bringing this difficult-to-see plaque to our attention.

Transcribing the text was not too hard but understanding why the plaque looks the way it does took some deduction. There seems to be a stone inserted into the lower right corner of the plaque, this stone being a continuation of the front canal edge of a short standing area, to the right of the plaque. Also, the last part of the inscription is on what appears to be a different, black, stone. All very puzzling. But then we realised that the black stone is actually a bevelled stone skirting that runs the full length of the wall on that side of the canal.

We believe that what happened was this: the foundation stone was installed - a normal rectangular stone with the text distributed across it as normal; it became necessary to extend the front canal edge stone (reason unknown) across the lower right front of the plaque; this obliterated the text in the lower right corner; so the lost text was inscribed onto the bevelled section of the stone skirting immediately below the plaque.

We are pleased with that explanation - let us know if you agree, or not.

Andy told us that 1897 is when "the original King's Road bridge (dating from when the canal was built?) was replaced by the St Pancras Vestry." Goad's 1891 Insurance Plan of London Vol. xi: sheet 402-1, has the road crossing the bridge from the south  labelled 'King's Road', but the bridge itself is labelled 'Grey's Inn Bridge'.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
St Pancras Way bridge - foundation stone

Subjects commemorated i

Thomas & Taylor

Engineers active in 1897.  

Read More

C. H. F. Barrett

Vestry Clerk. St Pancras Vestry, his tenure including the period 1897 -1906. ...

Read More

Charles Challen

Churchwarden in the St Pancras Vestry in 1897.

Read More

John William Dixon

Chairman of the Parliamentary and General Purposes Committee, St Pancras Vest...

Read More

Stephen Kavanagh

Builder active in 1897.

Read More

Show all 6

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
St Pancras Way bridge - foundation stone

Created by i

Metropolitan Borough of St Pancras

St Pancras was a civil parish and metropolitan borough in London. It was an a...

Read More

William James Wetenhall

Churchwarden in St Pancras Vestry in 1889. Chairman of the Vestry in 1897. W...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Bernard Sunley

Bernard Sunley

W1, Berkeley Square, 24

City of Westminster Bernard Sunley, 1910 - 1964, contractor and philanthropist, lived and worked here, 1941 - 1958.

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Lenthall Works

Lenthall Works

E8, Richmond Road, 440, Passing Cloud

The few references we can find to "Lenthall Works" have a double "l" so there seems to be an error on the plaque. We attempted to resear...

2 subjects commemorated, 2 creators
Putney - Diamond Jubilee

Putney - Diamond Jubilee

SW15, Church Square, St Marys Church

The Bridge plaque is on the far side of the wall beside the woman's head in our photo. The jubilee plaque is laid into the terrace betwee...

2 subjects commemorated
Hornsey Central Hospital war memorial - Edward Bamford VC

Hornsey Central Hospital war memorial - Edward Bamford VC

N8, Park Road, 151, Hornsey Central Health Centre

There are 10 memorials in this area around the the war memorial building in our photo. The two pier heads are to the right of the buildin...

War served | WW1
1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Parish Clerks Hall - third

Parish Clerks Hall - third

EC2, Wood Street

The Hall was in Silver Street, which exists no more. it ran just south of London Wall, between Wood Street and Noble Street.

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator