mobile nav

Memorial

St Nicholas churchyard extension - north gate, east pier St Nicholas churchyard extension - north gate

Plaque: St Nicholas churchyard extension - north gate, east pier

Erection date: 1838

Inscription

This churchyard was enlarged by an addition of twenty five perches of ground given to the parish by His Grace William Spencer Cavendish, Duke of Devonshire KG, AD 1838.

Of course, none of you need reminding that a perch is equivalent to 5 and a half yards so the enlargement was by 137.5 yards or 125.73 metres, for the metrically-minded. Quite a lot.

We believe this refers to the same gift as that on the south gate.

 

Site: St Nicholas churchyard extension - north gate (2 memorials)

W4, Church Street, St Nicholas Church

Nearby Chiswick House was in the Cavendish family, 1758–1929, which explains their association with this church.

The church's website says: "The Churchyard was Chiswick’s only burial ground for many centuries. It was closed in 1854 because of lack of space, except for limited burials in existing vaults. For the next twenty years people from Chiswick were interred outside the parish. It was re-opened in 1867. The Duke of Devonshire gave to the parish gifts of land adjoining the churchyard for enlarging the burial ground in 1838 and 1871."

View this memorial on a map

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
St Nicholas churchyard extension - north gate, east pier

Information Subjects commemorated

William George Spencer Cavendish, 6th Duke of Devonshire

The "Bachelor Duke" after whom the Cavendish banana was named. Born Paris, s...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
St Nicholas churchyard extension - north gate, east pier

Information Also at this site

St Nicholas churchyard extension - north gate - north gate, west pier

This acre of ground was presented to the parish of Chiswick by His Grace the ...

Read More