Erection date: 1762
St. Georgs Kirche
Site: St George's German Church - Alie Street (1 memorial)
E1, Alie Street, St George's German Lutheran Church
The church's information board includes: "Built by the German Community in 1763. Restored 2004. Owned by the Historic Chapels Trust".
The congregation was founded by Dederich Beckmann, a wealthy sugar boiler/pastry cook and father-in-law of the first pastor.
Both world wars were difficult for members of the German community in London, some being interned and others expelled. The then pastor and his wife were expelled in 1917, and returned in 1920. Services continued at this church through both wars, but it closed in 1996. Information from St George's German Church.
The red brick building to the right has a frieze above the ground floor windows that reads: "St George's German and English schools supported by voluntary contributions."