Plaque: Sheridan's Stables
These form rooms embody the walls of Sheridan’s Stables.
"Form rooms" is what many public schools call their class rooms, after the forms (benches) on which the pupils sat.
Site: Sheridan's Stables (1 memorial)
HA1, Grove Hill, Leaf Schools
When (1780-5) Richard Brinsley Sheridan lived in The Grove (the large manor house behind this building) these were his stables.
Our photo shows only the left-most part of this long building. Listed Grade II: "Scanty remains of old buildings, known as Sheridans Stables. Two small single-storey blocks under a mansard, with central carriage arch, linked at roof level. Fragments of dark red C18 brickwork rebuilt above with roof added in 1954 having 5 paired dormer windows. Modern rear with access to upper classrooms by external staircase and walkway. Stone tablet in archway inscribed: "Built in 1936 out of money bequeathed to the school by Herbert Leaf (Rendells 1867-1873)"."
When we visited we didn't know about the tablet in the archway but we don't think the archway was accessible anyway. Leaf (1854 – 1936) was educated at Harrow, played cricket for Cambridge and Surrey and, 1906, became mayor of Marlborough, where he died. If anyone has a photo of the tablet....