Plaque   

RCGP opened in this building

30 Euston Square RCGP opened in this building

Erection date: 26/3/2014

Inscription

The Royal College of General Practitioners
Opened by the patron, His Royal Highness, the Duke of Edinburgh, KG, Kt, 26 March 2014.

Site: 30 Euston Square (4 memorials)

NW1, Euston Square, 30

The Martin plaque is above the door, inside the projecting porch in Melton Street, shown in our photo. The Duke of Edinburgh plaque is on a public wall inside the ground floor of the building. The foundation stone for the extension is low on the Euston Road frontage, to the left of our photo, between the parked bike and the person in the dark red coat.

2022: we cannot see the plaque to Indian doctors on the outside of the building and the people in reception knew nothing about it so we have to assume it is lost, or was never erected other than on the easel.

There is a cafe on the ground floor of the building and there are often small exhibitions here. Do go in and have a look - the tiling in the large foyer area is lovely.

A leaflet we picked up in the building and the Wikipedia page together provide the following.

The original 1906-8 building, with the Melton Street frontage, was built as the HQ of the London, Edinburgh and Glasgow Assurance Company, and is now listed Grade II*. LEGAC specialised in providing welfare insurance for low income workers and their families. This was one of the first purpose-built office buildings in an area that was primarily residential. LEGAC was taken over by Pearl Assurance which donated the building to the new National Amalgamated Approved Society in 1912.

Over time the original architect, Beresford Pite added extensions: to the roof - 1913, and to the north - 1923. The large extension giving it a long Euston Road frontage (part of Beresford Pite's original vision) was by W. H. Gunton in 1932.

With the creation of the NHS the NAAS ceased to exist and the building was taken over by the government in 1948 and then passed back into private hands. After a period of vacancy the Royal College of General Practitioners took it over and in October 2012 it re-opened as their HQ.

The National Library of Medicine has a splendid page on this building with some original Beresford Pite drawings.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
RCGP opened in this building

Subjects commemorated Information

Royal College of General Practitioners

Founded in London. Instituted in November 1952, and granted its Royal Charter...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
RCGP opened in this building

Created by Information

Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh

Born at the villa 'Mon Repos', the summer retreat of the Greek royal family, ...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
RCGP opened in this building

Also at this site Information

Foundation Stone NAAS

This plaque refers to the Euston Road extension to the original 1908 Beresfor...

Read More

Indian doctors in the NHS

We only know about this plaque from an article in the 24 November 2019 Hindus...

Read More

Richard Biddulph Martin

London, Edinburgh and Glasgow Assurance Company had an account with Martin's ...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

David Greig - N8

David Greig - N8

N8, High Street, 32

The location was Greig's mother's shop, opened in 1870. The address then was 3 St Mary's Terrace.

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Kensington Library - Princess Alice Garden - created

Kensington Library - Princess Alice Garden - created

W8, Philimore Walk, Kensington Central Library

The library, by E. Vincent Harris and opened in 1960, is the building to the south, the left of our picture. The Library Time Machine mus...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Shepherd's Bush Library - foundation stone

Shepherd's Bush Library - foundation stone

W12, Uxbridge Road, 7

The blue plaque is next to the lower right window of the building, and the foundation stone is on the right of the doorway. The Hunt and...

1 subject commemorated
Carl Maria von Weber

Carl Maria von Weber

W1, Great Portland Street, 103

In this house died Carl Maria von Weber 1826. Placed here by the London Section of the Incorporated Society of Musicians.

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Emlyn Williams

Emlyn Williams

WC1, Marchmont Street, 60

Unveiled by Griff Rhys Jones, who claims not to actually be Welsh despite his name and having been born there.

1 subject commemorated, 2 creators