mobile nav

Memorial

Richard Biddulph Martin Richard Biddulph Martin

Plaque: Richard Biddulph Martin

Erection date: 6/11/1906

Inscription

This stone was laid by Sir Richard Biddulph Martin, Baronet, Novem. VI AD MCMVI {Nov. 6 1906}.

We can't find the exact connection between Martin and the London, Edinburgh and Glasgow Assurance Company but he was a banker - enough said?

Site: Richard Biddulph Martin (1 memorial)

NW1, Euston Square, 30

The plaque is above the door, inside the entrance porch in Melton Street, shown in our photo. It's really just a foundation stone but it's a lovely piece of carving and the architect of the building is Beresford Pite, so we decided to add it to London Remembers.

The Wikipedia page provides: The original 1906-8 building, with the Melton Street frontage, was built as the HQ of the London, Edinburgh and Glasgow Assurance Company, and is now listed Grade II*. There is an architecturally lovely café on the ground floor, open to the public. Over time Pite added extensions: to the roof - 1913, and to the north - 1923. The large extension giving it a long Euston Road frontage was by W. H. Gunton in 1932. The building was taken over by the government in 1948. In 2012 it re-opened as the HQ of the Royal College of General Practitioners.

View this memorial on a map

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Richard Biddulph Martin

Information Subjects commemorated

74420

Sir Richard Biddulph Martin

Banker and Liberal politician. Made baronet, of Overbury Court in 1905. Wikip...

Read More