A memorial garden of coffin-shaped beds used to commemorate the site of the Prince of Wales public house on Paradise Road. On Sunday 13th October 1940 during World War II, a bomb exploded at the site killing many of those inside.
We think this plaque was installed c.2012, to replace the lost one. We are puzzled by the reference to "coffin-shaped beds". Flowerbeds, presumably but even so, a bit morbid. There is no sign of these any more so we wonder what the garden used to look like and when it was relaid.
Site: Prince of Wales WW2 bomb (2 memorials)
SW9, Clapham Road, 294
From Paradise Memorial Garden: "According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission database, 32 people died at 294 Clapham Road on 13 October 1940. The dead included five husband-and-wife couples and one mother-and-daughter. Judging from the names of the casualties, The Prince of Wales may have been an Irish pub or at least popular with the Irish community." PMG goes on to list the names of the dead with some information about each one.
The black stone plaque replaced the bronze one what it was stolen.
What do you think of the large 1950s development that has replaced the pub and a long stretch of Clapham Road? Low rise with pillared arcades set back around a green area, with pedestrian access to the street behind - all nicely done. Just a pity there are so many closed shops and parked cars.