Plaque   

(lost) Oldest building in Cheapside - lost plaque, and building

Oldest building in Cheapside - lost plaque, and building Oldest building in Cheapside - lost plaque, and building
Inscription

The oldest building on Cheapside, withstanding the Great Fire, 1666.

Site: Oldest building in Cheapside - lost plaque, and building (1 memorial)

EC2, Cheapside

We spotted this photo of a plaque on the ever-fruitful Spitalfields Life. That page suggests that the photo probably dates from the 1920s or shortly before. You can see the plaque at the extreme right of the photo.

The British Library have a map that shows how Friday Street used to extend up to Cheapside. The buildings shown in this photo, on the north side of Cheapside, are still there and enable us to place our pin for this lost plaque with confidence. The building with the plaque was on the south-east corner of this junction. The whole of the south side of this section of Cheapside is now occupied by the dirty brown glass One New Change shopping centre.

Horwood's 1799 map shows this building as no 7 Cheapside, but we suspect Cheapside may have been renumbered at least once, since we have found this number allocated to a Cheapside building at a junction with St Pauls Churchyard.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Oldest building in Cheapside - lost plaque, and building

Subjects commemorated Information

Great Fire of London

Started on a Sunday morning. After 4 days the destruction included: - an area...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Jeremy Feakes

Jeremy Feakes

N1, Orsman Road

The London Borough of Hackney Jeremy Feakes, 1972 - 2007, designer, entrepreneur and founder of the Urban Golf Tournament, lived here.

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Turk's Head - Wapping - 1

Turk's Head - Wapping - 1

E1, Green Bank / Tench Street, 1 / 20

We'd guess that the first stone was created and erected in 1766 when the building was rebuilt. And in 1927 it was decided to carry on th...

1 subject commemorated
Sir William Perkin

Sir William Perkin

E1, Cable Street

Sir William Henry Perkin, FRS, discovered the first aniline dyestuff, March 1856, while working in his home laboratory on this site and w...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Harrow School - gates - east pier

Harrow School - gates - east pier

HA1, Church Hill

The gate piers with the urns, that can be seen in our photo, each have a plaque on the other, north facing, side. These are only visible ...

1 subject commemorated
Hornsey British Legion

Hornsey British Legion

N8, Elder Avenue, Earl Haig Memorial Hall

This double plaque is under the window on the left. Sir Philip Sassoon was ADC to Douglas Haig in WW1. In 2008 we visited this area and ...

2 subjects commemorated, 6 creators