Plaque: Old Schools
The Old Schools
This is the original building at Harrow, finished in 1615 and enlarged in 1820 by Charles Robert Cockerell and given its present distinctive appearance.
Harrow Heritage Trust
Site: Harrow Old Schools + Shaftesbury (2 memorials)
HA1, Church Hill, Old Schools
The Listing entry explains: "West wing, originally built 1615 and incorporating panelled schoolroom probably about that date. Architect Mr Sly. East wing added 1820 by C R Cockerell and the Whole, apart from the left flank wall, appears to be refaced in red brick at that date. Two main storeys with basement and staircase link between the wings. Mullion and transom window and oriel at first-storey. Stepped gables with tiled roof."
The Harrow Heritage plaque is on the east wing (right) flank wall.
For our site photos we always like to have a person in the shot to give scale; someone with a dog is good, a cyclist even better, but our scoring system was seriously challenged when this team of Morris Dancers walked into shot.