Plaque   

Old Church Garden - site

Old St Marylebone Parish Church Garden Old Church Garden - site
Inscription

The Old Church Garden commemorates the site of the old parish Church of St Marylebone, built 1400, rebuilt 1741, demolished 1949.
The sunken portion of the garden marks the actual foundations of the church dedicated to St Mary. The River Tyburn flowed near by and thus the village took its name of St. Mary-le-bourne. This historic ground was laid out as a garden-of-rest in the Festival Year 1951.

The middle of 3 plaques on the back wall of the garden.

Site: Old St Marylebone Parish Church Garden (5 memorials)

W1, Marylebone High Street

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Old Church Garden - site

Subjects commemorated Information

Church of St Marylebone

Old parish church , built 1400, rebuilt 1741, demolished 1949.

Read More

Festival of Britain

'A tonic for the Nation', The Festival was intended to cheer us all up after ...

Read More

River Tyburn

Covered over in 1750 but still running, underground from Hampstead to Westmin...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Old Church Garden - site

Also at this site Information

Old Church Garden - Alfred Coucher

On the curved wall at the entrance to the garden.

Read More

Old Church Garden - burials

The right-most of 3 plaques on the back wall of the garden.

Read More

Old Church Garden - facts

The left-most of 3 plaques on the back wall of the garden.

Read More

Old Church Garden - Wesley tomb

We don't normally include graves but since this has been moved it is now eff...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

IC - Kepler

IC - Kepler

SW7, Imperial College Road, Observatory Road, Chemistry RCS

From the Imperial College website: The Royal College of Science building was completed in 1906 ….. The building was designed by architect...

1 subject commemorated
Lockerbie bench - 12 - Murphy

Lockerbie bench - 12 - Murphy

TW9, Kew Gardens

We have numbered these 17 plaques, anti-clockwise, starting from the plaque for the whole crew which faces the water. Oddly, the last two...

2 subjects commemorated
Lord Leverhulme

Lord Leverhulme

NW3, North End Way, Inverforth House

Hill House (or The Hill), was occupied after his father's death by John Gurney Hoare. In 1896 his son, Sir Samuel Hoare, sold it to Georg...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Hugh Gaitskell House

Hugh Gaitskell House

N16, Stamford Hill

{The top plaque:} These flats erected for the Stoke Newington Borough Council were opened by Baroness Gaitskell of Egremont on the 9th Ma...

1 subject commemorated, 4 creators
Putney Debates

Putney Debates

SW15, Church Square, St Marys Church

The Bridge plaque is on the far side of the wall beside the woman's head in our photo. The jubilee plaque is laid into the terrace betwee...

3 subjects commemorated