Plaque: National Sporting Club
Erection date: 12/10/2015
This building was once known as the National Sporting Club, March 1891 - October 1929, which,under its president Hugh Cecil Lowther the Fifth Earl of Lonsdale and co-founders Arthur 'Peggy' Bettinson & John Fleming, became the home of modern glove boxing.
The London Ex-Boxers Association
City of Westminster
Site: Admiral Russell + National Sporting Club (2 memorials)
WC2, King Street, 43, Thomas Archer House
In 1714 Russell was appointed First Lord of the Admiralty and that year he commissioned this house at 43 King Street from the architect Thomas Archer.
Arthur Lloyd gives the history of this building. 1772 it became a hotel, then a theatre and supper room, Evans's. c.1850 a music hall was built at the back. The interior of the building has since been completely modernised. We wonder what happened to the staircase.