mobile nav

Memorial

maypole Maypole + Navigation

Memorial: maypole

Erection date: 2013

Inscription

{On a steel plaque to the right of the maypole:}
Until the 16th century a famous maypole used to be put up on feast days at the corner of St. Mary Axe. Its shaft overtopped the original church, which got its name of St. Andrew Undershaft as a result. When not in use the shaft was stored in an alley near here, which became known as Shaft's Court. The reproduction overhead is a reminder of these facts.

Google Street View history shows that this replica was erected sometime 2012-2014.

Site: Maypole + Navigation (2 memorials)

EC3, Leadenhall Street, 122, Leadenhall Building, Cheesegrater atrium

In 1848 P&O moved into their new purpose-built offices at no.122. That building was replaced in 1969 with a glass-fronted office block, which itself was demolished in 2007-8 to make way for this Richard Rogers Cheesegrater.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
maypole

Information Subjects commemorated

50048

Maypole - St Mary Axe/Leadenhall

The maypole, comparable in height to that of the adjacent tower of St Andrew ...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
maypole

Information Also at this site

78911

Navigation

Given the dates of the sculptor (b.1883) the figure was clearly not on the 18...

Read More