Plaque: Jubilee Market Hall
Erection date: 5/9/1987
The Jubilee Market traders have laid this stone to commemorate the creation of this covered street market funded by the traders themselves and to pay tribute to both Ray Green, first Chairman and Trustee of the Jubilee Market Traders Committee whose dedication and strength of purpose were instrumental in its success.
5 September 1987
Site: Covent Garden Market (4 memorials)
WC2, Southampton Street, Jubilee Market Hall
In our picture the Jubilee Market Traders plaque can be seen on the back wall of the arcade. In front of it, the Queen's stone plaque is to the left and to the right is one that dully reads "Speyhawk Land & Estates Ltd, 1987. Contractors: Tellings Ltd. Architects: C.G.H.P. Architects". The Donkey plaque is being admired by the red-coated lady.
Bonus fact: Before the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1540 the Covent Garden area was the Convent Garden associated with Westminster Abbey. Somewhere along the line the "n" was lost.