Monument: Holy Trinity war memorial - WW1 + WW2
Erection date: 1988
1914 - 1918
1939 - 1945
See our page for the WW1 memorial to which this unusual tablet is affixed for an explanation.
Site: Holy Trinity Stroud Green (3 memorials)
N4, Granville Road, Holy Trinity church garden
This Peace Garden, opened on 27 March 2011, commemorates the 1944 V1 bomb, the people who died, the church that was destroyed and the subsequent reconstruction of the area.
Something here doesn't make sense. The info board talks of a single bomb which destroyed 12 houses and the church, and killed people in Granville Road at numbers 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, and 33. These are all further north up Granville Road, mainly on the east side, opposite what is now The Spinney. Between these houses and the church there were (and still are) 9 other houses, plus the church hall, none of which suffered any significant, if any, damage. Surely there must have been two bombs: one on the houses and one on the church.
At the Spinney another information board refers to one bomb destroying the houses, with no mention of the church. It includes this text: "The land where Granville Road Spinney now sits has seen many changes over the last 130 years. After being used as farmland until the 1870s, it was built upon when the railway came to North London. In July 1944 during World War II, a V1 flying bomb destroyed seven Victorian houses on the western side of Granville Road. These were replaced by Prefabs that were removed in 1980 and the area reverted back to open land." So this is talking about a single bomb which destroyed 7 houses on the west side, where the Spinney now is.