Other    | War Memorial

Holy Trinity Stroud Green - information board

Holy Trinity Stroud Green Holy Trinity Stroud Green - information board

Erection date: 27/3/2011

Inscription

Early in the morning of Sunday 16 July 1944 a V-1 flying bomb fell on Granville Road, killing 15 people and seriously injuring 25 others. Twelve houses were destroyed; 100 others were damaged; Holy Trinity church, was badly damaged. 

This Peace Garden commemorates the event, the people who died, and the reconstruction of the area in peacetime.

Those who died that morning in Granville Road: {See Subjects commemorated for the list of 15 names, listed by house number.}

The church’s windows and doors were blown out and there was a large hole in the roof above the organ, but Father Connerton asked that any tarpaulins be used first on people’s houses rather than the church. The church hall was already used as a rest centre for people who had been bombed out. Thirty-two people stayed there in bunk beds until they could be housed elsewhere.

In 1946 nineteen Arcon Mark V ‘prefab’ factory-built bungalows were erected on the Granville Road bombsite. Clad with corrugated asbestos cement, each was pre-wired, came with ducted air heating and had two bedrooms and a fitted kitchen including a refrigerator. They had a modern and compact look. Designed to last for 10 years, they actually stood until 1980. Local people remember prize-winning front gardens, including one with a fishpond.

In the 1980s the prefabs were replaced by new housing on the east side of Granville Road and, after a campaign by local residents, the Spinney wildlife area on the west side.

Holy Trinity Church (architect E. B. Ferrey) was consecrated in 1881 when the area was developed as a north London suburb, and took its place amongst other similar parishes in the rapidly growing city with its own loyal and active worshippers. In 1913 a church hall (architect J. S. Alder) was added. {This is the building to the left of our photo.}

The 1944 bomb damage proved so severe that in 1950 the church building was declared unsafe. Parishioners moved the alter and other fittings, including the organ, into the church hall, and a chapel was created in the vicarage. The church was pulled down in 1960 and a Service of Dedication in 1961, led by the Bishop of London, established a new place of worship in the former church hall.

In the same year a new vicarage was built on the site of the old church and this garden was leased to the council, with the World War One memorial as a centre-piece. The old vicarage was demolished to make way for St Aidan’s School, {to the north-east on Albany Road} opened by the Queen in December 1972. The memorial was destroyed by a falling tree in the gale of 1987.

The terrazzo and cobbles at the edge of this Peace Garden mark the entrance to the old church. A post from a washing line, hidden deep in the Spinney, is a trace of the people who lived in the prefabs. This garden is a memorial to those who died.

Thanks to Stroud Green Residents Association, Holy Trinity Church, Bruce Castle Museum (Haringey Culture, Libraries & Learning), Hornsey Historical Society, London Metropolitan Archives and the local people who researched and contributed to this board. Funded by Neighbourhood Management, Making the Difference Fund, March 2011. Haringey Council

Site: Holy Trinity Stroud Green (3 memorials)

N4, Granville Road, Holy Trinity church garden

This Peace Garden, opened on 27 March 2011, commemorates the 1944 V1 bomb, the people who died, the church that was destroyed and the subsequent reconstruction of the area.

Something here doesn't make sense. The info board talks of a single bomb which destroyed 12 houses and the church, and killed people in Granville Road at numbers 22, 24, 26, 28, 30, and 33. These are all further north up Granville Road, mainly on the east side, opposite what is now The Spinney. Between these houses and the church there were (and still are) 9 other houses, plus the church hall, none of which suffered any significant, if any, damage. Surely there must have been two bombs: one on the houses and one on the church.

At the Spinney another information board refers to one bomb destroying the houses, with no mention of the church. It includes this text: "The land where Granville Road Spinney now sits has seen many changes over the last 130 years. After being used as farmland until the 1870s, it was built upon when the railway came to North London. In July 1944 during World War II, a V1 flying bomb destroyed seven Victorian houses on the western side of Granville Road. These were replaced by Prefabs that were removed in 1980 and the area reverted back to open land." So this is talking about a single bomb which destroyed 7 houses on the west side, where the Spinney now is.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Holy Trinity Stroud Green - information board

Subjects commemorated Information

Holy Trinity church Stroud Green

Designed by architect E. B. Ferrey in 1881. We think this is Edmund Benjamin ...

Read More

Granville Road V1 bomb

A V1 bomb fell on Granville Road early on a Sunday morning. 15 people were ki...

Read More

Great Storm of 1987

In the early hours of Friday 16 October 1987 a great storm struck South East ...

Read More

Civilian deaths in London caused by enemy action

This page brings together all the memorials that we have for civilians killed...

Read More

Margery Ethel Allum

Aged 37. Lived at 26 Granville Road.

Read More

Show all 19

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Holy Trinity Stroud Green - information board

Created by Information

London Borough of Haringey

Created in 1965 by the amalgamation of three former boroughs: Hornsey, Wood G...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Holy Trinity Stroud Green - information board

Also at this site Information

Holy Trinity war memorial - WW1

The 1920s photo of the church shows the WW1 memorial in place in front of the...

Read More

Holy Trinity war memorial - WW1 + WW2

See our page for the WW1 memorial to which this unusual tablet is affixed for...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Karla Roman

Karla Roman

E1, Whitechapel High Street

Killed at 9am as she cycled to work, by a coach. As far as we can tell the coach turned left across her path, as she also turned left out...

2 subjects commemorated
Paul Ellis, cycle courier

Paul Ellis, cycle courier

EC1, Clerkenwell Road, junction Gray's Inn Road

A London cycle courier died near this spot. Paul Ellis, 14.06.89

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
St Marys Newington - Faraday

St Marys Newington - Faraday

SE1, Newington Butts, Garden

Three churches and two clock towers have been built on this site, but nothing remains today. A modern information board (which you can se...

1 subject commemorated
Alice Drakoules bird bath

Alice Drakoules bird bath

NW8, St John's Wood High Street, St John's Wood church gardens

The north face is carved with images of a deer, squirrel, fox and pelican. The opposite face shows a horse, cat, dog and pigeon. The anim...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Daniel Solander

Daniel Solander

E1, The Highway, Swedenborg Gardens

When the church was here the address was Prince's Square. Our pin is positioned on the font, the boards around the trees are to the west ...

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator