Plaque: Harmsworth - IWM
Erection date: 2014
In 1926 Harold Harmsworth, the first Viscount Rothermere, bought the grounds of the Bethlem Royal Hospital, popularly known as Bedlam, and generously donated them to the people of Southwark as a park named after his mother, Geraldine Mary Harmsworth.
Later, Lord Rothermere felt it was right that the former hospital should become the home of the Imperial War Museum as two of his sons, Vyvyan and Vere, had died during the First World War. The museum moved to this site in 1936 and has remained here ever since.
In 2014 to mark the centenary of the outbreak of the First World War, IWM completed a major regeneration of the building and its galleries. In this it was strongly supported by the IWM Foundation, chaired by Harold Harmsworth's great-grandson, Jonathan, the fourth Viscount Rothermere.
Site: Berlin Wall - SE1 & Harmsworth (2 memorials)
SE1, Lambeth Road, Imperial War Museum
The Harmsworth plaque is inside the entrance lobby to the Museum, just to the right of our photo.