Plaque   

Brunel's Engine House

Brunel's Engine House Brunel's Engine House
Inscription

Brunel's engine house
The tunnel shaft and pumping house for Marc Brunel's tunnel was constructed between 1825 and 1843. This was the first thoroughfare under a navigable river in the world. 
{The image at the top is the London Docklands Development Corporation logo:} 

Site: Brunel's Engine House (1 memorial)

SE16, Railway Avenue, Brunel Engine Museum

Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Brunel's Engine House

Subjects commemorated Information

Brunel's Engine House

The engine house was designed by Marc Brunel to be part of the infrastructure...

Read More

Sir Marc Isambard Brunel

Civil Engineer, born Hacqueville, Normandy, France. Educated in France, but f...

Read More

Brunel's Thames Tunnel

The first tunnel in the world under a navigable river. Built between 1825 and...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Brunel's Engine House

Created by Information

London Docklands Development Corporation

We did not initially recognise this logo, on at least 8 plaques in the Surrey...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

A. E. Housman - N6

A. E. Housman - N6

N6, North Road, Byron Cottage, 17

Housman lived here 1885-1905 when he moved, with his landlady to 1 Yarborough Villas, Pinner.

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Salvation Army Ronalds Road - west

Salvation Army Ronalds Road - west

N5, Ronalds Road, 1, Citadel Court

The designer of the building clearly had the 'citadel' concept in mind. Strangely, some of these foundation plaques have had their inscri...

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Doctor Alfred Salter - SE1

Doctor Alfred Salter - SE1

SE1, Druid Street, Alfred Salter Playground

Alfred Salter Playground Dr Alfred Salter studied medicine at Guy's Hospital and devoted his life to improving living conditions in Bermo...

4 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Joseph Priestley - E5

Joseph Priestley - E5

E5, Lower Clapton Road, 113, 117

The house was demolished in 1880 and we have failed to find a picture of it. At the time this section of street may have been called Cla...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Fruiterers' Hall & Alley

Fruiterers' Hall & Alley

EC4, Fruiterer's Passage

The new pedestrian subway under the northern approach to Southwark Bridge was formally opened on 19 January 2000 by the unveiling of a sm...

1 subject commemorated, 4 creators