Plaque: Pembroke Park
Erection date: 20/11/2014
Pembroke Park takes its name from the World War II base HMS Pembroke V. From 1943 to 1945 it was an outstation of the Government Code and Cipher School (GC&CS) at Bletchley Park and as such played a significant role in deciphering enemy signals.
The site was home to 800 Wrens who worked on 110 'bombes' (electro-mechanical decoding machines) with the support of 100 RAF technicians.
After the war GC&CS changed its name to Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ) and moved to this site, where it remained until the relocation of most of its functions to Cheltenham in the early 1950s.
A small unit remained at Eastcote until the late 1970s.
The names of the roads and some of the buildings in Pembroke Park have been chosen to reflect the history of the site.
Ruislip, Northwood & Eastcote Local History Society
Eastcote Residents' Association
Site: Pembroke Park (1 memorial)
HA4, Ellis Close