Erection date: 6/6/2009
Hammersmith and Fulham Historic Buildings Group
D-Day 6 June 1944, the Normandy landings were planned by General Montgomery and others in St Paul's School, which occupied this site from 1884 to 1968. On 15 May 1944, the final invasion plan was presented to General Eisenhower and senior allied commanders in the school lecture theatre, in the presence of King George VI and the Prime Minister, Winston Churchill.
Site: D-Day (1 memorial)
W6, Hammersmith Road, Entrance to St Paul's Gardens and Open Space
The boundary wall and gate pillars and the Highmaster's House are all that remain of St Paul's School buildings.
The redbrick, very ornamental, Highmaster's House was used as a location in the 1971 film S.W.A.L.K. though most of the shots show the southern facade. 2016: it is now used as St Paul's Hotel.
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk