Plaque   

Hanbury Hall - white plaque - removed

Hanbury Hall Hanbury Hall - white plaque - removed
Inscription

Christ Church Hall
Built in 1719 as a French Hugeonot {sic} church it stood back from the road behind a paved, tree-planted, courtyard in which there was a pump. In 1740 La Patente church moved into the building. Their plaque of the royal arms, signifying the patent granted by James II, is still mounted in the hall. The Three Crown Court church in Wheler {sic} Street then joined La Patente and by the 1760's the congregation was noted for being large and prosperous. During this time John Wesley preached here. In 1787 it became a German Lutheran church, the Baptists then moved into the building and renamed it Jireh Chapel and during the period that it was occupied by the United Free Methodists. Charles Dickens used the building for public readings of his works. In 1864, the building was extended to cover the courtyard and the original stone facade was destroyed. Christ Church bought the building in 1887 and it was converted for use as their church hall. The building was used by the matchstick girls to hold their strike meetings in 1888 organised by Annie Besant and Eleanor Marx-Aveling (Karl Marx's daughter). These led to the establishment of the British Trade Unions. As Christ Church Hall it has, in many ways, served the needs of the church and community in Spitalfields over the past century.

Site: Hanbury Hall (4 memorials)

E1, Hanbury Street, 22, Hanbury Community Centre

Below the oval blue plaque there is a foundation stone:
This stone was laid by Mr William Forster - superintendant
C. Mc.I North - Archt.
August 1864

The white plaque used to be just to the right of the foundation stone, under the windowsill.  This plaque was removed when the building was renovated in 2015.  It emerged with two new memorials: the tiles and the blue oval.  We thank our colleague Alan for these photos.

The pavement plaque is immediately outside the entrance.

From Spitalfields Life:"The Hanbury Hall in Hanbury St was built in 1719 as a Huguenot Church, standing back from the road behind a courtyard with a pump. The building was extended in 1864 and is now the church hall for Christ Church, Spitalfields."

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Hanbury Hall - white plaque - removed

Subjects commemorated Information

Jireh Chapel, Hanbury Street

A group of Baptists moved into the building 1845/1846 and occupied it, with i...

Read More

Matchgirls' strike

A strike of the women and teenage girls working at the Bryant and May Factory...

Read More

German Lutheran church in Hanbury Street

Occupied the building until sometime between 1818 and 1828. See German Luther...

Read More

The Huguenots

French Protestants in the 16th and 17th centuries. The name emerged in 1560 b...

Read More

La Patente church

In 1740 this French Hugeonot church moved into the building in Hanbury Street...

Read More

Show all 13

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Hanbury Hall - white plaque - removed

Also at this site Information

Bowler plaque - Match Girls

The plaque punningly represents "match girls" - very nice. Hanbury Hall is wh...

Read More

Hanbury Hall - blue oval plaque

This plaque has a shortened version of the text on the old white plaque.

Read More

Hanbury Hall - tiled plaque

These 20 Delft tiles are decorated with scenes and symbols important in Hugue...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Job Drain - Greatfields Road

Job Drain - Greatfields Road

IG11, Greatfields Road, 42

Our colleague Andrew Behan has done some research and found that Job H. Drain was living here with his family from about 1976 - at least ...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
The Goon Show

The Goon Show

SW1, Strutton Ground, 2, The Strutton Arms Public House

In 1951 the pub was called Grafton's and run by Jimmy Grafton who helped create the Goons and get them on the radio.

5 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Kathleen Ferrier

Kathleen Ferrier

NW3, Frognal

Kathleen Ferrier, 1912 - 1953, contralto, lived here. Greater London Council

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Donald McGill - SW2

Donald McGill - SW2

SW2, Christchurch Road, 36

The ODNB's page on McGill gives: "His fame was recognized by the placing of a blue plaque on his home, 36 Christchurch Road, Streatham Hi...

1 subject commemorated
St Peter’s and St Thomas - war memorial

St Peter’s and St Thomas - war memorial

E2, Warner Place, 52, St Peter’s Church Hall

We were pleased to find a website, St Peters Bethnal Green, that has already listed these people and provided lots of research, and we di...

174 subjects commemorated, 1 creator