Plaque   

Hanbury Hall - blue oval plaque

Hanbury Hall Hanbury Hall - blue oval plaque

Erection date: 2015

Inscription

Hanbury Hall
Built 1719 as a French Huguenot Church. Used by La Patente Church 1740 onwards. John Wesley preached here. 1787 it became a German Lutheran Church. Used by the Baptists then the United Free Methodists. Charles Dickens gave public readings here. 1887 Christ Church bought the building as its Church Hall. 1888 Annie Besant and Eleanor Marx-Aveling held the matchstick girls strike meetings here which helped to establish the British Trade Unions. Throughout its life this hall has served Church, community and nation.

This plaque has a shortened version of the text on the old white plaque.

Site: Hanbury Hall (4 memorials)

E1, Hanbury Street, 22, Hanbury Community Centre

Below the oval blue plaque there is a foundation stone:
This stone was laid by Mr William Forster - superintendant
C. Mc.I North - Archt.
August 1864

The white plaque used to be just to the right of the foundation stone, under the windowsill.  This plaque was removed when the building was renovated in 2015.  It emerged with two new memorials: the tiles and the blue oval.  We thank our colleague Alan for these photos.

The pavement plaque is immediately outside the entrance.

From Spitalfields Life:"The Hanbury Hall in Hanbury St was built in 1719 as a Huguenot Church, standing back from the road behind a courtyard with a pump. The building was extended in 1864 and is now the church hall for Christ Church, Spitalfields."

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Hanbury Hall - blue oval plaque

Subjects commemorated Information

Matchgirls' strike

A strike of the women and teenage girls working at the Bryant and May Factory...

Read More

German Lutheran church in Hanbury Street

Occupied the building until sometime between 1818 and 1828. See German Luther...

Read More

The Huguenots

French Protestants in the 16th and 17th centuries. The name emerged in 1560 b...

Read More

La Patente church

In 1740 this French Hugeonot church moved into the building in Hanbury Street...

Read More

Show all 10

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Hanbury Hall - blue oval plaque

Also at this site Information

Bowler plaque - Match Girls

The plaque punningly represents "match girls" - very nice. Hanbury Hall is wh...

Read More

Hanbury Hall - tiled plaque

These 20 Delft tiles are decorated with scenes and symbols important in Hugue...

Read More

Hanbury Hall - white plaque - removed

Christ Church Hall Built in 1719 as a French Hugeonot {sic} church it stood b...

Read More

Nearby Memorials

St Olave, Silver Street - road widened

St Olave, Silver Street - road widened

EC2, Noble Street

From the modern information board: "This garden covers the site of the church of St Olave, destroyed in 1666 by the Great Fire of London....

2 subjects commemorated, 3 creators
Harmsworth - IWM

Harmsworth - IWM

SE1, Lambeth Road, Imperial War Museum

The Harmsworth plaque is inside the entrance lobby to the Museum, just to the right of our photo.

7 subjects commemorated
Rules Restaurant 2

Rules Restaurant 2

WC2, Maiden Lane, 35

Rules®. London's oldest restaurant. In the year Napoleon opened his campaign in Egypt, 1798, Thomas Rule promised his despairing family t...

15 subjects commemorated
Damage caused by Shadwell Basin diggings

Damage caused by Shadwell Basin diggings

E1, The Highway, St Paul’s Shadwell

The west front of the church has 3 plaques, left to right: 'J. Walters - Architect.', 'Rebuilt,Anno Domini MDCCCXX.', 'R. Streather - Bui...

Thomas Park & J J Park

Thomas Park & J J Park

NW3, Church Row, 18

Thomas Park F.S.A. "The poetical antiquary", born 1759, died 1834, and his son, John James Park, author of the first History of Hampstead...

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator