Plaque: GPO Film Unit
Erection date: 2000
G.P.O. Film Unit, later Crown Film Unit, pioneers of documentary film making, had their studios here, 1933 - 1943.
Site: GPO Film Unit (1 memorial)
SE3, Bennett Park, 47, Blackheath Art Club
The Listing entry gives: "Artists' studios, now flats. 1885-6 with 1891 Annexe. John C P Higgs and Frank Rudkin, architects. Red Brick with roughcast and hung tile to one gable. Arts and Crafts style of one main range. Separate Annexe to right in warehouse style." etc. "Built as artists' studios and exhibition space for the 1883-founded Blackheath Art Society. Used 1933-1943 as headquarters and studio for the GPO film unit."