Records of this coaching inn date back to 1542 although the current building dates back to 1676 when it was rebuilt following a devastating fire. During 1874 the north range was pulled down, however, thankfully the southern range has survived to be London’s last galleried coaching inn. William Shakespeare often frequented the inn, as did the novelist Charles Dickens who referred to The George in his novel Little Dorrit.
Site: George Inn (3 memorials)
SE1, Borough High Street, 77, George Inn Yard
Credit for this entry to: Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk