mobile nav


George Inn

Picture source

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of

George Inn

Building  From 1677 

Categories: Food & Drink

This George Inn existed in the late 16th century though originally known as The George and Dragon.  The current building was erected in 1677 after a serious fire destroyed most of Southwark. The north range was pulled down in 1874 but the the southern range survived to become London’s only remaining galleried coaching inn.  The Inn was known to Shakespeare and Dickens.

A London Inheritance has a splendid post on this Inn.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
George Inn

Information Commemorated at

George Inn - gate

Records of this coaching inn date back to 1542 although the current building ...

Read More

George Inn - Historic Southwark

In the courtyard at the rear of this building is The George - London's only g...

Read More

George Inn - National Trust

This plaque is on the left hand side of the courtyard.

Read More