Plaque

Fire of London plaque - Museum of London

Erection date: 1681

Inscription

Here by ye permission of heaven, hell broke loose upon this Protestant city from the malicious hearts of barbarous Papists, by ye hand of their agent Hubert, who confessed, and on ye ruines of this place declared the fact, for which he was hanged, (vizt.) that here began that dredfull fire, which is described and perpetuated on and by the neighbouring pillar.
Erected Anno 1681 in the majoraltie of Sr. Patience Ward, Kt.

This is a large plaque, perhaps 2 or 3 feet wide.

We tracked this plaque down at the Museum of London in November 2021 (before the Museum moved to Smithfield). Nearby panels inform: "Plaque from the Pudding Lane bakery site, 1681. In 1681 this plaque was placed on a new building on the site of Thomas Farriner's bakery in Pudding Lane. Its inscription blames Catholics and Robert Hubert for starting the fire. The plaque was removed in the mid-1700s because the crowds stopping to read it were causing traffic jams."

The plaque that was erected in 2016 to commemorate this plaque (yes, really) states that this plaque has been beneath the cobbles of Monument Street since 1887, but we've seen it, at the Museum.

British History Online brings some clarity:  "The Great Fire of 1666 broke out at the shop of one Farryner, the king's baker, 25, Pudding Lane. The following inscription was placed by some zealous Protestants over the house, when rebuilt:—"...{the inscription on the plaque}..." This celebrated inscription (says Cunningham), set up pursuant to an order of the Court of Common Council, June 17th, 1681, was removed in the reign of James II., replaced in the reign of William III., and finally taken down, "on account of the stoppage of passengers to read it."Entick, who made additions to Maitland in 1756, speaks of it as "lately taken away."

So it seems the plaque was erected 1681, removed sometime 1685-8, replaced 1689-1702, removed c.1750. The plaque to the plaque refers to it being beneath the cobbles since 1887 but offers no explanation of where it had been between 1750 and 1887, nor what caused it to be buried. 1887 was the year of Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee but we can't imagine burying plaques was part of the festivities. And if was buried, at what point was it resurrected and given to the Museum?

All very puzzling, but at least the plaque exists and can be seen.

Site: Fire, bakers and Hooke (4 memorials)

EC3, Monument Street

The Hooke plaque is the gray square laid into the pavement in front of the strange modern hut-like structure.

The Faryner plaque is on the lowest corner slab of concrete on the charming building behind, to the left (Faryners House, Richard Seifert, 1973).

The lost plaque was on a 1681 building on the site where the fire started, (probably) the site now occupied by the Seifert building.

The bronze MDCLXVI plaque is laid into the cobbles in the middle of the road immediately south of the Faryner plaque. In our photo it's hidden by the hut thing.  Probably installed 2006-9 but we don't know.

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Fire of London plaque - Museum of London

Subjects commemorated i

Great Fire of London

Started on a Sunday morning. After 4 days the destruction included: - an area...

Read More

Robert Hubert

A watchmaker from Rouen, France, who was executed following his false confess...

Read More

Patience Ward

Merchant and early Whig politician. He was elected Lord Mayor of London in 16...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Fire of London plaque - Museum of London

Also at this site i

Faryner's shop

Faryner's shop

Near this site stood the shop belonging to Thomas Faryner, the King's baker, ...

Read More

MDCLXVI

MDCLXVI

The building engulfed in flames is Old St Paul's Cathedral.  Londonist repor...

Read More

Robert Hooke - Monument Street

Robert Hooke - Monument Street

This was installed before 2012.

Read More

Nearby Memorials

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor - Croydon

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor - Croydon

CR0, St Leonard's Road, 6

Samuel Coleridge-Taylor 1875 - 1912 composer, lived and died here. Nubian Jak Community Trust Samuel Coleridge-Taylor Centenary Festival ...

1 subject commemorated, 2 creators
Kensington Library - Princess Alice Garden - created

Kensington Library - Princess Alice Garden - created

W8, Philimore Walk, Kensington Central Library

The library, by E. Vincent Harris and opened in 1960, is the building to the south, the left of our picture. The Library Time Machine mus...

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Sir Edward Burne-Jones - W14

Sir Edward Burne-Jones - W14

W14, North End Crescent, Samuel Richardson House

Artist, Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones, 1833-1898, lived at The Grange on this site, 1867-1898.

2 subjects commemorated, 1 creator
Charles 3rd Earl Stanhope

Charles 3rd Earl Stanhope

W1, Mansfield Street, 20

Unrelated fact: In the Avengers Steed's flat was located in the mews behind these houses, Duchess Mews.

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator
Belair House

Belair House

SE21, Gallery Road

The plaque is not on Belair House itself which is set a long way back, but on the gatehouse which is on the road.

1 subject commemorated, 1 creator