Site of Doctors' Commons, demolished 1867.
Corporation of the City of London
Site: Doctors' Commons (1 memorial)
EC4, Queen Victoria Street, Faraday Building
The plaque is on Queen Victoria Street but the Doctors' Commons building seems to have had the address of Knightrider Street, the one behind.
However, stop for a minute to consider the Faraday Building. We learnt about it at A London Inheritance and it's well worth a look. Site of the first GPO telephone exchange in 1902, this building, by A. R. Myers, was opened in 1933. A tall building, this blocks the view of St Pauls from the river and was, apparently, the building that initiated the concern which led to the current planning rules that protect views of St Pauls. But what we love about it are the keystones which contain: a carved telephone, coils of cables, a magnet, an electrical relay, etc. all embedded in classical acanthus leaves. Lovely.