At a court of assistants of the Worshipful Company of Haberdashers, London, held at their hall on the 8th day of September 1828,
John Hoffman, Esq. - Master
Mr John Statton, Mr Samuel Butler, Mr James Durnford Capel, Mr Thomas Howell – Wardens
it was resolved unanimously that the cordial thanks of this court be given to Benjamin Hawes, Esquire, for his valuable services upon many occasions and in particular as a testimony of the high opinion entertained by them of his disinterested conduct and indefatigable exertions in his place as a member of this court, which led to the rebuilding of Aske’s Hospital upon its present plan and the appropriation of the adjacent ground for buildings whereby the benevolent intentions of the founder were promoted and extended, the comforts of the aged pensioners materially increased, the advantages of the boys in the school improved and the revenues of the charity essentially and permanently augmented.
Resolved: that in order to perpetuate these sentiments of the court be referred to the Master and senior wardens, with the mover and the seconder of the motion to inscribe the foregoing resolution on a suitable tablet, to be affixed in the dining hall or committee room or some other conspicuous part of the building at Hoxton.
By order – Hambly Knapp, Clerk
Note that the plaque says that not only was a new building erected but also that the site was extended into the adjacent ground.
Site: Aske's Hospital (2 memorials)
N1, Pitfield Street
These large plaques are on the back wall of this portico, either side of the entrance door. See Aske's Hospital for information about the building.