mobile nav


White Conduit

Place  From 1300 

Categories: Food & Drink

Originally part of the water supply to the Greyfriars Monastery, Newgate Street. See British History 1 and British History 2 for details. The same water was also used to supply Charterhouse from the 1400s to 1652 when Charterhouse decided to use the New River water instead. The source of the White Conduit water is given as the area around White Conduit Street, Islington, which is puzzling since French's Dairy is not on any sensible route from the source to Charterhouse nor to Greyfriars.  Also "White conduit" seems to be the name of a little building at the source rather than the channel used to convey the water.

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
White Conduit

Information Commemorated at


French's Dairy conduit

The nice lady in the shop told us that it is a 2 metre square white marble we...

Read More