West India Docks
Place From 1802 To 1980
A series of three docks on the Isle of Dogs. Their construction was largely the responsibility of Robert Milligan, who had managed his family's Jamaica sugar plantations. He became outraged at losses due to theft and delay at London's riverside wharves, and headed a group of businessmen, including George Hibbert, who promoted the creation of a wet dock circled by a high wall. They flourished until the 1960s, when trade declined to almost nothing due to containerisation. They are now part of the Canary Wharf development.