mobile nav


Union Chapel, Islington

Building  From 1799 

Categories: Religion

From Union Chapel: "Our story ... started in 1799 when dissenting congregants from St Mary’s, Upper Street began worshipping together in a private house in Highbury Grove." This was number 18. "Every year, we note our Foundation Day, 28 August, when worship began in the chapel that previously occupied this site, in 1806. The houses either side were built at the same time." The picture shows the site at this time. More information and pictures at the Friends page.

The current 1874-7 building is by James Cubitt (apparently unrelated to the various other architects and engineers with the same surname that were developing London at the same time, or so distantly related that it doesn't count) with additions in 1877-90.

See other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Union Chapel, Islington

Information Commemorated at

Union Chapel

The two pastors are Lewis, the first, and, Allon, the one that oversaw the er...

Read More

Union Chapel - foundation

Union Chapel foundation stone

Read More

Union Chapel - Spicer

The dates must be the (notional) start and end dates of the erection of the b...

Read More